The Université Grenoble Alpes and the UCLouvain solicit applications for a 3-year PhD position in political science (eventually renewable for 1 year) within the project “Legitimacy in democratic systems” jointly financed by the IDEX Grenoble-Alpes and the ERC Starting Grant, QUALIDEM – Eroding Democracies. The PhD position will start October 1st, 2018.
The successful applicant will conduct her or his doctoral research on the erosion of democratic legitimacy. The projects may focus on political participation, trust, political interest, indifference or protest and other behaviors or attitudes which reveal the (lack of) legitimacy in democratic systems. She/he will conduct empirical research based on one or several rigorous methodologies. She/he will work under the joint supervision of Virginie Van Ingelgom at the Institut de Sciences Politiques Louvain-Europe, Université catholique de Louvain and Raul Magni-Berton at the social science PACTE research center at Grenoble, with enrolment in the SHPT doctoral program in Grenoble (Sciences de l’Homme, du Politique et du Territoire).
– Applicants should hold a Master degree in Political Science or related field in Social Sciences and Humanities. Last year students are encouraged to apply, on the condition that they obtain their MA-degree before the start of the scholarship; i.e. October 1st, 2018.
– Applicants with relevant background in social science (including empirical methods) and with a strong interest in politics, will be preferred.
– Applicants should be fluent in English, and are welcome those who have a minimal French proficiency.
Applications should include:
– A cover letter
– A full CV (including degrees obtained for each study year, the title of your MA-thesis, and, when applicable, a list of publications, relevant courses taken, and conference presentations)
– A project outline, including a central research question and research design (2-3 pages) describing the doctoral research to be pursued within the project
– One letter of recommendation is welcome
Application deadline: 5th July, 17:00
1. Eligibility check of applications July 2018.
2. First round of selection: the applications will be evaluated by a Review Board by July 15, 2018.
3. 2nd round of selection: shortlisted candidates will be invited for a video interview on 26 July 2018 (if necessary).
Type of contract: temporary-3 years of doctoral contract – renewable for 1 year
Job status: Full time
Hours per week: 35
Salary: between 1768.55 € and 2100 € brut per month (depending on complementary activity or not)